My dog may have swallowed the battery off his invisible fence collar. How concerned should I be? The battery is the flat, round type that is roughly the size of a quarter (button cell).

Update: the battery was found, so he did not swallow it.

2 Answers 2


This is a medical emergency!

A vet must make an x-ray of the stomach as soon as possible to verify whether or not the dog actually swallowed the battery. If he did indeed, the battery must be removed as soon as possible by a means the vet chooses. If the battery is intact, vomitting might be the easiest solution, but if the battery is punctured, it may cause even more damaged if vomitting is induced.

The stomach acid corrodes the outer layer of the battery, which then releases it's toxic chemicals into the stomach. That can cause chemical burns and tissue death anywhere from the mouth, to the esophagus, intestines and anus. Even if the battery wasn't punctured and passed through the stomach intact, it may still block the intestine and cause an incredibly painful intestinal obstruction that is lethal if untreated.

You should watch out for symptoms like:

  • reluctance to eat or drink
  • drooling
  • red or grey spots in the dogs mouth
  • bad breath
  • vomitting
  • diarrhea
  • lethargy

As a first aid measure you should feed your dog a very bland diet of plain cooked chicken, rice or pasta (without added salt) and offer them some milk or cottage cheese.

For more information please read:

What should I do if my dog eats a battery? by Animal Emergency Center
The Dangers of Batteries and Your Pets: What You Should Know by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Dogs & Batteries – More Dangerous Than You Might Think by Preventive Vet

  • 1
    Meant to follow up earlier, but the battery was found, so he did not swallow it
    – Kevin
    Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 15:36

Following up with what Elmy said, I would also recommend monitoring your pet after the battery is removed to see if they have any other suspicious symptoms. If you want to better prevent battery swallowing, get bitter tasting batteries. They sell them and they work great.

  • Your vet may also recommend some after treatments if the battery was punctured but removed before permenant damage was done. Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 15:27
  • This is a specialized battery for this collar. I doubt I can find one that is bitter. Plus, my dog eats everything, I doubt it would discourage him
    – Kevin
    Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 15:31
  • Is it a 3V? If so, there are child proof batteries however i doubt that it will work on pets. My recommendation is to find the best thing your dog hates taste wise that's nontoxic, if you cant, then duct tape over the collar might be the best option. Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 16:08
  • If you can, then try and cover the battery in it and put the battery in the collar Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 16:08
  • chewy.com/petsafe-rfa-67-6-volt-replacement/dp/48619
    – Kevin
    Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 17:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.