- Sex: Female
- Breed: Chihuahua/French Poodle
- Age: 9
- Had surgery for a breast tumor a year and a half ago. No further sign of tumors.
- Mother's home
- 4 bedrooms (3 residents)
- Well water
- Large yard
- Rental House
- 5 bedroom (6 residents)
- City Water
I have lived with my dog for her entire life with the exception of the past two years, when I went across state to attend college, during this time, my mother and sister had been watching her. I am the person she has always preferred to come to for food, to play or to go walking with, even during the time that I was visiting and not living there. I have recently moved to a location near my college that allows dogs. However I've noticed my dog has had issues adjusting .
The first day (about two weeks ago) she was scared, as I expected she might be moving to a new home, and since we've moved in I have done everything I can to help her adjust. She always has food and water available to her in my room, I take her for a walk once a day in the nearby park, and I take her to the backyard whenever she needs to do her business or wants to play.
- I am currently not employed and in between semesters so I don't leave the house much or for very long, but when I do she begins to howl while I'm away. I've tried leaving her in my room with food, water and toys, and I've also tried letting her roam the house while I'm away but she insists on howling. My roommates say she goes around the house as though she is looking for me even though she saw me walk out the front door. I figure that she thinks I've left for a long period of time since the most she's seen of me the past two years is when I would visit once every month or two for a week. I am not sure how to handle her separation anxiety. Suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
- Just this week I have noticed that my dog has begun to lose weight, it hasn't become apparent visually but I've noticed when I pet her and I'm becoming concerned. I want to stop it before it becomes a problem. I have read that weight loss in dogs can be linked to stress, right now that is what I believe it is, but I know I could be wrong and I'm wondering what other things weight loss is a symptom of. Either way, I do not know what to do about this. I am planning on taking her to a vet this week, but for now I plan on feeding her some pasta without butter or sauce. Again, suggestions or insight are welcome.
- My dog is becoming less interested in playing. She has not been playing with the toys that she had always used to play (stuffed animal dog toy, fake bone, chasing the laser pointer). She still loves going for walks though. Not sure what to think of this. Not sure if it is stress related. Suggestions or insight?
My Current Plan:
As I said, I plan on taking her to the vet this week with these questions. I plan on getting her on worm medication, just in case. And I plan on taking her on two walks a day instead of one since she doesn't want to play with toys anymore. If anymore information is needed or might help, I will gladly provide it.