I have a one year old border collie who has kennel cough. He is vaccinated, I'm not sure how he got it, but here we are.
He is confined to the house/yard, and he is losing his mind. He normally goes to doggy daycare twice a week that sort of relaxes him, but he hasn't been able to do that since he got sick.
He plays fetch poorly, maybe for about 5 minutes max, so it hasn't helped in exercising him. I've been using a laser pointer to take the edge off, but he gets bored of that too.
We do about an hour of clicker shaping/training in the evening, which I think mellows him out a little. But not enough.
Other things I've tried:
- Frozen Kongs - he will eat the easy stuff off the top and leave the Kong until it defrosts.
- Bully sticks - actually pretty good, buys me about 20 minutes of free time
- Bones - also about 20 minutes worth of entertainment at a time
- Snuffle mat - we do this for about 30 minutes, but I don't know if it does too much.
- "Find it" game - he doesn't seem to get the idea. He gets the easy ones and lays down.
- Flirt pole - gets bored after about 5 minutes.
- RC car - works great, but he barks and herds and it gets kinda loud. Plus I don't want to encourage the barking.
I am looking for ideas for entertaining a high energy dog that doesn't require me to spend all of my free time after work doing it. Games? Fun toys? I want to avoid high-calorie activities because he also isn't exercising too much.