Hot answers tagged

15

Contact your vet. Caffeine is indeed toxic to cats. According to vetmeds.org, cats can only tolerate about 36 to 68 milligrams per pound. For a small cat, they estimate that amounts to less than .05 ounces of coffee beans, which is a very tiny amount. If your kitten is very small, the risk is even greater. So perhaps if the kitten has truly only eaten one ...


11

This is a medical emergency! A vet must make an x-ray of the stomach as soon as possible to verify whether or not the dog actually swallowed the battery. If he did indeed, the battery must be removed as soon as possible by a means the vet chooses. If the battery is intact, vomitting might be the easiest solution, but if the battery is punctured, it may cause ...


5

In general, you should watch for the following symptoms as indications of possible poisoning: diarrhea vomiting dizziness / vertigo signs of paralysis dilated pupils seizures salivating / drooling Clinical symptoms in cats are to be expected when ingesting 20mg or more of Theobromine per kilogram of body weight. Cocoa powder is around 14-26mg Theobromine ...


5

This should be harmless, based on gathering the numbers in the other answer and the comments therein. A dangerous dose for a cat is around 36 to 68 mg of caffeine per pound (79 to 150 mg per kg) of cat weight. A single coffee bean is around 0.13g and contains between 1 to 10 mg of caffeine. Additionally, your cat swallowed an entire bean, not the same amount ...


4

Without being able to reference any objective, scientific sources, I would propose wrapping the squeaker in several layers of fabric. Kevlar is certainly extremely resistant to cuts and tears, but it does not resist being punctured by things like needles or canine teeth. Though the two terms are sometimes confused, cut resistance and puncture resistance are ...


3

The question is not about how much beef he ate, but how much onion. I found one source that lists the critical dose for a single ingestion as 0.5% of body weight, which for your dog is 25g. If you used the onion in the usual ratios for a dish/sauce and your dog ate just the meat, it should pretty harmless. If on the other hand you made a dish that features ...


3

One of the most common vitamin overdoses in cats is Vitamin D. It can be caused by vitamin supplements or medications containing high amounts of vitamin D, but also by ingesting certain plants, rat poison, certain skin creams and even commercial cat food (see case study). It's also possible to overdose a cat with poorly balanced diets containing high ...


2

Zinc oxide is SAFE for topical use. All the concerns regarding its potential toxicity refer to the ingestion of this substance. Dermal absorption of zinc from topical ointments based on zinc oxide is trace to none (study on humans). At worst, topical use could result in minor skin irritation. As long as it is not eaten, it is safe. Zinc oxide on itself is ...


2

Please note that this is only my subjective, not scientific opinion... The meat should be fine, but you cannot keep it much longer now. It's bacteria and fungi (mould) that spoil foods, and it's the cold of the fridge that slows their growth down to keep foods fresh for longer. Since the meat wasn't refrigerated for several hours, it's comparable to meat ...


2

I don't think there really is any safer method of protecting your fish and other animals than physically removing them from the fumigated apartment. I wouldn't trust anything else to be 100% reliable and guarantee their survival. Please note that, while insecticides are extremely toxic to fish, they are even more toxic to invertebrates - shrimps, snails, etc....


1

Anticoagulants are commonly known as "blood thinners". They would be used to avoid the blood getting thicker and "clumping". For example this is useful for people that get thrombosis quickly, or people who could not move some time, for example after surgeries. The use of Anticoagulants as poison against rodents uses this effect with a ...


1

You should always call the vet and have them speak to you about the situation. If she is not vomiting and is acting normally/going potty okay, I would recommend giving her some white rice with chicken broth. Make sure the chicken broth does not have any added salt or preservatives. This should soothe her stomach.


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible