Hot answers tagged

24

According to petpoisonhelpline.com, caffeine poisoning is "[g]enerally moderate to severe/life-threatening", but while "[...] cats appear to be more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than people", "1-2 laps of coffee, tea or soda will not contain enough caffeine to cause poisoning in most pets [...]". So you should be safe with the current situation, but ...


15

Contact your vet. Caffeine is indeed toxic to cats. According to vetmeds.org, cats can only tolerate about 36 to 68 milligrams per pound. For a small cat, they estimate that amounts to less than .05 ounces of coffee beans, which is a very tiny amount. If your kitten is very small, the risk is even greater. So perhaps if the kitten has truly only eaten one ...


12

As Matt S. says, I've never seen any situation where a cat overdosing on catnip did worse than vomit (spectacularly in this cat's case...). That said, since vomiting isn't a particularly enjoyable experience, it makes sense to limit your cat's access to catnip and keep the dosage to a level she can tolerate - let her get high without going overboard. In ...


12

I have not come across any cases of catnip overdose where the cat did anything worse than vomit. Some cats know when they've had enough, and some cats don't. Luckily, there doesn't seem to be any harmful side-effects. So the cats that don't know any better don't risk harming themselves. I can't say that I've seen any behavior indicating addiction either. I ...


12

To be honest I don't think any type of paint applied to a bird cage after the fact is a good idea. The paint that is applied to a bird cage is the negatively charged powder type that is typical in industrial processes where you want to ensure a strong long term bond to a smooth metal surface. The metal cage pieces are positively charged while the paint is ...


12

This isn't the answer that you're looking for, but the best way to prevent secondary poisioning from rodenticides is to keep your cats indoors. Keeping your cats indoors protects against MANY problems that can make your cat sick or die! Cats who are either part-time or full-time allowed to roam outdoors alone face the following risks: Disease (feline ...


11

Caffeine is very bad for cats and dogs. Don't let your cats have any coffee, soda, tea, etc. One tiny dose won't kill them, but you could be racking up organ damage each time. The HCCUA health website states that cats will get heart and nervous system damage from caffeine. I imagine it would also hurt the liver, kidneys, and GI tract as well. Plants make ...


11

Long to short: one drop of chocolate ice cream is not enough to harm your hamster. The dangerous thing in chocolate is called "theobromine" (look at this question for more detail: Does chocolate hurt hamsters?). How much theobromine can a hamster eat without damage? I have found an science article about dangerous dose of theobromine for rats, mice ...


11

This is a medical emergency! A vet must make an x-ray of the stomach as soon as possible to verify whether or not the dog actually swallowed the battery. If he did indeed, the battery must be removed as soon as possible by a means the vet chooses. If the battery is intact, vomitting might be the easiest solution, but if the battery is punctured, it may cause ...


10

There are many signs placed out to warn the public. The answers to How do I stop my dog from eating things he finds during our walks? are quite relevant to this situation. According to the articles: 1) Locations include, but are not limited to: the Twin Peaks neighborhood on Crestline Drive the Outer Richmond District around the intersection of La Playa ...


10

The short answer is "yes, it could kill your dog". According to WebMD (one of many, many references), the problem is that theobromine, a compound in cocoa beans that's similar to caffeine, is something dogs don't metabolize terribly well, so it affects them much more for their body weight than it would a human. That means that the darker the chocolate, ...


9

Well, as you noted, dogs can eat a lot of things that would kill a human and, given that they're scavengers by nature, will find them to eat. However, mushroom poisoning in dogs is a very frequent event and many dogs die from it every year as a result of consuming dangerous mushrooms in the wild. Long story short, the evidence would suggest that dogs cannot ...


9

It takes less than 1g of garlic per kg of body weight to harm a cat (it's about 5 times as potent as onion, which is a problem past 5g per kg). Your cat's 3 licks shouldn't have been enough -- you didn't say how much your cat weighed, but to be safe, I've set your cat's weight to be 8 lbs (~3.6 kg) for this. Your cat would have needed to ingest .008 lb of ...


8

According to the ASPCA, chives are toxic to cats. Perhaps you can put them in a hanging basket to keep them out of reach of your cats. The ASPCA also has a list of toxic and non-toxic plants that you may find helpful.


8

The primary reason for concern would be zinc toxicosis. This is basically the formation of zinc salts in the stomach acid which are toxic and can lead to diarrhea, lethargy, seizures, and more. It's quite dangerous and can require surgical intervention to treat. Common sources of zinc poisoning in dogs and cats include the Lincoln penny(!) and zinc-oxide ...


8

This is a tough one, because you haven't been given a lot of time. Most likely, the bug bombs will be using some combination of pyrethrins or pyrhethroids, which are some of the most common insecticides around. Unfortunately, these are also toxic to fish, so you're right to take action to protect them. Ideally, your landlord would have given you a bit more ...


7

Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult for small mammals doesn't cover botulism, but it does for the canine/feline version. Being a neurotoxin, I would expect mammals would generally respond to recovery procedures largely in a similar manner, based on the effects also being similar, so: Neurological recovery will generally be in reverse order of ...


7

Last month I bought big bag of cashews that I left on the counter. When I wasn't watching my Cornish Rex decided to help himself to the bag, eating at least half a dozen of them. I searched the internet for a while and couldn't uncover any evidence that they are harmful, though I did find several references to people using them as treats. He never ...


7

Given the information in your question – and I haven't evaluated the cat or seen the full lab work or diagnostics – I am less inclined to think this is an acute hepatopathy as would be caused by toxin ingestion. The repeated episodes point towards more of a chronic condition, and I would be concerned that there may be an underlying cancerous process. The ...


7

(After calling an avian vet to double check) Yes, the bird should be removed from the premises for at least 24 hours if possible. Upon returning, all surfaces that the bird regularly comes in contact with should be wiped down. If it is not possible to remove the bird from the apartment, keep it as far away from the treatment area as possible in a well-...


6

The key aspect of the answer to this question is the distinction between the words poisonous and venomous: A poisonous creature (or plant, for that matter) delivers its toxin when ingested, that is, when you eat it. A venomous creature delivers the toxin by injecting it, usually through the skin. It is quite conceivable that a venomous creature would not ...


6

Websearch says that LD50 (the overdose that will kill half the animals in the study) for caffeine is around 70 mg per 1 lb body weight (150 mg / kg body weight). As an example, instant coffee contains over 60 mg caffeine per teaspoon. So, the lethal dose of caffeine for a 15 lb (6.8 kg) dog would be 17 teaspoons of instant coffee. Stronger coffees such as ...


6

There are a variety of factors that influence this: The size and breed of dog will have an impact on how much of a toxic substance a dog needs to ingest before the effects become visible. In many cases, whether or not the toxin is ingested on an empty stomach will also be significant. (So, a small amount of a toxin present in a large quantity of food will ...


6

Tl;dr - Yes, it sounds like a possible 1080 fox bait poisoning. Can't be sure though. The traditional fox bait is called 1080. That poisonous bait is still used in a few countries to kill foxes, rabbits, possums and other mammal pests. The toxin in 1080 is Sodium fluoroacetate. Wikipedia is a bit vague on symptoms in animals, but for humans they say: ...


6

Glues made diphenylmethane diisocyanate can greatly expand in your pet's stomach, causing dangerous blockages. See http://tsawwassenanimalhospital.com/learning-centre/pet-poison-alert-accidental-wood-glue-toxicity/ Apparently this is common in wood glues, Gorilla Glue, and Elmer's ProBond. Even regular glue though could cause a blockage if the animal ...


6

My first-aid manual1 has a few tips for immediate aid: Immediately call your vet or an emergency veterinary hospital depending on time of day. This is a medical emergency and needs swift resolution. Inducing vomiting only if the cat is fully awake and in control of their body and you know what they ate. If there's any doubt that they are not then don't do ...


6

As trond hansen already posted in his link: Cats generally do not have allergic reactions to poison ivy. But hairless cats or cats with very hort hair, as well as cats with areas of exposed skin can suffer allergic reactions to poison ivy. But even then the worst case then is a red itch, which you should wash or wipe gently. The bigger problem could be ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible