3

My husband and I had 4 fish and a shrimp, we had to travel for a week and came back to 3 white decomposed bodies of fish and one I guess left overs of a body .. Yet the shrimp was still alive! Now we came back and found the central AC broken and I assumed the heat killed them but the temperature of the aquarium is 25 degrees Celsius only, tank size is 75L ... We've had 2 fish for over a year and the other 2 were like a month old also we had an auto feeder working so they were fed for sure

Now what could be the reason they all died together?

  • What kind of fish? Some fish are easier to keep than others. – rlb.usa Jul 6 '15 at 18:14
3

Lots of things can go wrong. Here are some ideas:

  • pH or ammonia spike : The larger the tank, the less likely spikes are, but all of my catastrophic failures like this were due to spikes

  • Power outage : If the power went out, all electrical components would stop functioning, like the heater, filter, aerator etc.

  • Feeder malfunction : Especially if you haven't tested it before, it could easily have malfunctioned, putting way too much feed or way too little.

  • Domino effect : It's important to realize that decomposing fish bodies cause all sorts of issues and unhealthiness, so a single death could have caused a cascading effect

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I think this would not be a problem for fish if they did not eat for a week - especially, if the scenario is that they killed one and ate it. I would expect there was power outage and they died because of low oxygen, restarted filtering etc. – Voitcus Jul 7 '15 at 4:15
1

Addition to rib.usa's answer.

I think that typical fish could survive a week without eating.

Probably there was a power outage, which stopped all electric devices from operating. The time was long enough all the bacteria in the filter died and the filter became a source of poisonous substances. If the power was reconnected automatically by your utility, all these substances have been injected to the tank causing fish to die. Salt-water fish are much more susceptible to bad conditions than fresh water ones.

If there was "central AC broken", which I understand as there was a short-circuit in your tank. Perhaps the heater is down - maybe current flow killed the fish. I had such an event twice, however, all fish survived and did not even noticed.

What is also possible that there was a disease. Maybe some insect dropped to the tank and was eaten.

Unfortunately, if this was nothing with the equipment, you might never learn what had happened.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.