I will be travelling with a female Siberian Husky puppy in about a month from now, and by then my pup would've been 2 1/2 months old. I'm a bit uncertain on how i'm going to do this, I've crawled the net to find resources but they're too general and I believe this is the best place still to ask this specific question to pet owners who have done similar based on knowledge and experience.
I will try to be as objective as possible and will also accept the most objective answer. Here goes :
1) I live in the Philippines, it's tropical country, but so far most huskies living here have adapted to the kind of climate. (But not direct sunlight of course).
2) The road is 330 kilometers (about 205 miles). Partly dirt road, partly asphalt. A little climb from here and there.
3) Trip usually takes about 8-9 hours at an average of 50-60kph with moderate traffic.
4) I ride a toyota Avanza, a mini SUV (about 7 seats), A little cramped up but good.
5) I drive alone, no one will be with me. (that kind of makes it a problem)
I'm a little paranoid but I really want to do this correctly and safely (both for me and the puppy). So, how do we survive this kind of trip? Some questions I would like to ask would be :
1) Pet crate or should I fold the seats and let her roam free inside the car? Or should she be in the front seat, or maybe on top of my lap while I drive?
2) Medications? Do they ever get dizzy? or something similar perhaps?
3) Food? should I feed her before the trip? if then how long before the trip? Should or shouldn't I feed her along the way? at how much time intervals?
4) How often should we go for stops?
5) Other details I might miss?