At my wits' end here with my adorably small and affectionate 15 month old toy moodle.
I crate trained her when she was a puppy next to my bed. It was a hellish few weeks but she ended up coming good. Our routine would be that she goes in her crate and I let her out at sunrise for a cuddle in bed. I'd never hear a peep until she woke me up at sunrise, she became my alarm clock! She'd curl up under my blankets and then we'd wake up a few hours later.
Fast forward to now... I put her in her crate and she bangs on it like never before, then starts crying and working herself up into a state. I've tried ignoring it but it doesn't stop.
If I let her out and try to cuddle her in bed, she doesn't want to even do that. Won't stay under the covers. She just wants to leave the room, or sit at the end of my bed and look at the wall. If the wall creeks, she is very alert and looks at it, and is clearly agitated by something. Even if I hold her, she squirms out, which she won't do during the day.
During the day, she is in the same room and sleeps on the bed or on the couch just fine! It's only at night when we go to bed she is like this.
There's been no changes to environment, routine, no new next door neighbour pets. The only thing I can think of is that there is a rat/possum in the roof and she can sense it, but even when it's absolutely dead quiet, where you could hear a pin drop, I can't hear anything. And during the day she is perfectly fine and sleeps in this room or other rooms in the house. At night, she'll sleep fine until bed as well. She seems to be on hyper alert when it's bed time and gets put in her crate. Even if I hold her she wants to squirm out and I can feel her claws to get out.
It's also worth mentioning that for the last few nights she'll cry and bang on her crate and after ten minutes I let her out to go toilet then straight back in and she is quiet as a mouse. Completely changes. I always take her toilet before bed so it's not like she needs to go again...
Things of note:
- Tonight, I tried comforting her in bed but she wasn't having any of it. Put her in her crate where she banged for 5 minutes, then whined for 15. And I mean whined. Then I let her out, took her for toilet, brought her back in and put her in her crate. She's been DEAD SILENT for the last 20 minutes as I write this! This happened the other night, too. Complete change. Why? This is so weird.
- During the day, she will sleep on my bed just fine, or my lap where I work in the same room.
- The last 2 months I have been sleeping at my partners house two nights a week, so she has been alone (when I'm not here there's someone to take care of her, and they put a playpen around the crate for her to sleep in). When this happens she is fine, she sits in her crate and goes to sleep (I've looked once or twice on the nanny cam I have).
- She's generally fine during the day being in the playpen/crate when no-one is home.
- She gets so much exercise. Tonight, we went for about 3 hours of walking and running around, she can be extremely active (and lazy).
Honestly I don't know what to do! She gets so stressed and it is causing me to not sleep.