So my cat licked up the last bits of chocolate milk in my cup as my back was turned and I caught her and pulled her away from it. She vomited but otherwise she seems fine. The chocolate milk was lactose free as I’m lactose intolerant and it was only a small amount. Should I be concerned?

enter image description here

  • 1
    Could you please add what exactly the ingredients in the chocolate milk are? For example sugar? Or artificial sweetener, and if so, which?
    – Stephie
    Apr 24, 2021 at 7:09
  • 1
    I added a photo of the back of the carton.
    – Dannica
    Apr 24, 2021 at 7:17
  • 2
    Someone with a better knowledge should answer this but I wouldn't concern the slightest.
    – C.Koca
    Apr 24, 2021 at 17:30
  • 2
    @Allerleirauh I think this milk does not have lactose (the label lists ingredients and it says "Nil" (in other words, zero) for lactose content). And you are right, there is the enzyme called lactase that decomposes lactose into glucose and galactose. Lactase enzyme is extracted from microorganisms (most often from specific strains of yeasts) and the lactase is then added to the milk in the manufacturing process. After all the lactose has been broken down to glucose and galactose, the milk is pasteurized because the lactase enzyme is often not 100% pure and contains small amount of ...
    – lila
    Apr 24, 2021 at 20:49
  • 1
    @Allerleirauh ... other enzymes that can break down milk proteins and shorten its shelf life. What is more, the lactase enzyme could contain small amounts of active microorganisms that it was harvested from. For both of these reasons, after the lactase has broken down all the lactose, milk is pasteurized to deactivate all the enzymes and destroy all the microorganisms.
    – lila
    Apr 24, 2021 at 20:54

2 Answers 2


In general, you should watch for the following symptoms as indications of possible poisoning:

  • diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • dizziness / vertigo
  • signs of paralysis
  • dilated pupils
  • seizures
  • salivating / drooling

Clinical symptoms in cats are to be expected when ingesting 20mg or more of Theobromine per kilogram of body weight.

Cocoa powder is around 14-26mg Theobromine per gram, and in your product about 1 gram of cocoa powder for the whole package (0.4% of approximated weight converting millilitres to grams directly, not accurate but accurate enough for our purposes).

This makes 14-26mg Theobromine if the whole package is ingested, so a couple of licks from the bottom of the cup, even considering there might be a concentration of undissolved powder, should not pose a significant danger.

Even so, in a situation like this I would still call my vet to get their opinion on how to proceed.


Following up with bgse;

The big No-No for cats is an artificial sweetener called Xylitol. If that chocolate milk contained any of that, then I would take your cat to the vet because too much Xylitol can poison your cat. It also can poison any dog that ingests it. This is why you should always watch your pet around chocolate, gum, or any water flavoring.

However your cat may have vomited due to the sugar content.

According to Bondvet.com, "If your furry friend eats sugar, you might see vomiting, diarrhea, and discomfort. Symptoms can range from a mild to severe, depending how sensitive your cat is and what they ate. Plus, in the long-term, sugar consumption can cause weight gain, diabetes, tooth problems, and other health issues."

  • 1
    Please include some information to directly answer the question; you are technically right that xylitol is poisonous for cats, but the label visible on the photo attached to question does not list xylitol as ingredient; the question is about cocoa and not xylitol. Also, xylitol is not artificial sweetener, it is sugar substitute (xylitol is not artificial because it occurs naturally in some fruits and is industrially made from wood).
    – lila
    Apr 26, 2021 at 15:17
  • 1
    Sorry the image shows as copyright so i canot see the image. Apr 26, 2021 at 15:31
  • 1
    Thank you ill look into it Apr 26, 2021 at 15:45
  • 1
    Answer Edited.. Apr 28, 2021 at 13:47
  • 1
    ... answer does not mention the subject of chocolate/cocoa at all; in short, chocolate is toxic to pets because cocoa plant produces the alkaloid theobromine that pets are unable to efficiently metabolize; please read this article about theobromine poisoning and include some information in this context; thanks.
    – lila
    Apr 29, 2021 at 0:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.