The veterinary pharmaceutical industry appears to be very keen that I expose my dog to toxins on a regular basis in order to prevent parasites taking hold.

I have heard that there are more natural alternatives, such as both feeding and dusting her coat with diatomaceous earth and/or garlic—especially when combined with periodic stool analysis.

  1. Is there any basis to these claims?
  2. Have the effectiveness of these (or any other) "natural" solutions been researched scientifically?
  3. Have the methods of action been identified?
  4. Have any harmful side-effects been noted?

2 Answers 2


Diatomaceous Earth claims say that it works on fleas/mites by microscopically abrading (cutting) their exoskeleton, essentially drying them out. Currently, there is no data on the amount of time is necessary for an organism to be exposed to DE before it has effectively "killed" the organism. However, your dog shouldn't be exposed to DE for more than 12 hours and there are some risks involved with using DE:

  • DE is very drying, and should be washed out within 12 hours.
  • In handling of DE, precautions state to use a mask. Keeping it away from your pet's mouth, eyes, ears, etc. are very important.
  • Use only food grade DE (much finer powder) as other forms of DE are poisonous.

Some sites say that ingesting DE also works to deworm a pet. My issue with this is that DE is effective in a dry state; your pet's stomach and intestinal tract are full of water rendering the DE useless. Additionally, ingesting DE may be increasing the risk of intestinal related issues in your pet (i.e. constipation, etc.).

Sources: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/parasites/a/Diatomaceous-Earth-For-Flea-Control.htm http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk.html


So called "natural" remedies are not necessarily: more effective; or with less side effects.

Diatomaceous earth and garlic, to whatever degree they do work, would have much worse effects on your dog than on the parasites in it. Dogs do not have cytochromes in their guts like we do, so garlic is not good for them (as it is for us) but actually bad for them. Diatomaceous earth is just tiny silica skeletons it will hurt your dogs cells just as readily as those of the parasites.

Almost anything that will kill parasites will have some unpleasant side effects on the host animal. I'd actually expect much less side effects, and more effectiveness, from those pharmaceuticals (which have been developed using science).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.