My dog is a cross between labrador and retriever and I estimate he weighs around 40 kgs and he's 1 year and 9 months old. My dog loves chasing crickets, especially because they jump, and in end, he eats them. He's only done this a few times, but most recently, he swallowed it quickly without playing with it that much. Which got me thinking, are alive crickets bad for dogs to eat?

EDIT: To test this out, last year I actually ate a cricket (yes it was dead, and yes I had cricket legs stuck in my mouth for the rest of the day) and confirm that I am still living :D

  • 3
    I feel like there's a certain amount of commitment involved in checking if crickets are edible, one year after the question
    – Journeyman Geek
    Apr 3, 2023 at 3:06

3 Answers 3


Don’t worry! Even humans eat crickets, so your dog will be totally fine. Dogs eat a lot of things worse than crickets (my parents’ dog regularly snacks on goose poop despite our best efforts to stop her). As a plus, crickets are a great source of protein and other nutrients!

There could be a rare instance that the cricket was carrying a parasite, so just make sure the dog doesn’t vomit or show discomfort. Again, that would be rare, but it never hurts to keep a close eye on your dog. If the cricket was up and jumping, it’s probably healthy.


Many creatures eat bugs, don’t worry! A cat I know eat any bug she comes across, as long as there isn’t any harmful chemicals like pesticides or fertilizers, that dog will be fine!


To answer more objectively, one ought to know the species of the cricket. But, most types of grasshoppers and crickets are edible (and extraordinarily protein-rich).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.