I have a Scottish Terrier with major skin issues and food intolerance.
- Only eating Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food. This has reduced itchiness, but the skin is still red and flaky.
- The Royal Canin was used from the start of a food trial and identified triggers include chicken, beef, fish, wheat, dairy. Snacks are only ice and cucumber at this stage.
- The dog was on Apoquel for over a month until a new histiocytoma appeared (second one, first one was surgically removed after necrosis appeared) as well as an eye, ear and skin infection. I'm very weary of Apoquel after this and have not started Apoquel again while the dog was still on antibiotics.
- The dog's ear has started bothering him again the day after the last dose of antibiotics.
- Giving 10mg of loratadine daily. This seems to help, but it's coated in lactose and I'm afraid that this could be a trigger.
- Washing every second day with a pet shampoo containing chlorhexidine.
These interventions have reduced self harm, but it seems we're stuck now and the side effects of Apoquel (although lethargy being the only directly proven symptom for us at this stage) negate the positives.
What can we do to get this under control? Any ideas are highly appreciated.