Our dog (male, a bit less than 2 years old, not neutered) has changed his behavior for a few days now:
- He whines quite often, a lot more than he did before
- he eats only half of his bowl of food, and isn't interested in treats like he used to be
- he seems to want to cuddle all the time - he used to like that previously, but much less than now.
We're considering taking him to the vet, however
- his nose, tongue, and eyes are just like they've always been, no fever, dry nose or teary eyes or anything
- he likes his walks like he always did
- when we let him off the leash, he loves running around, chasing birds, anything, and doesn't seem the slightest bit exhausted
so he doesn't seem to us like he was sick. He had gut worms about 4 weeks ago, got a pill from the vet, and there haven't been any signs of worms or eggs in his poop ever since, so we can rule this out. Also, he gets about 2 hours of exercise per day, plus time in the garden, so we don't think he's bored (and he doesn't show any signs of boredom like chasing his tail e.g.).
Our neighbor said we shouldn't worry, he just wants to have sex, and the whole episode should be over in 2 weeks. I know that female dogs are in heat for a while every now and then, but males? Could this explain his behavior? Or should we take him to the vet, just to make sure?