I have a 55 gallon tank that has been giving me problems but I'm not sure if I'm just over thinking or doing to much. When does one know it's time to bleach the tank to kill anything that could possibly be the problem. I see a few youtube channels that have bleached their tank because it was infected.
I was thinking of just using a bunch of hydrogen peroxide let it run through the filter and everything (obviously without the fish in the tank). Will this work instead of using bleach?
I've also been treating with General cure, Paraguard and E.M Erythromycin as my last attempt to hopefully correct the issue. The fish that have died off had inflamed gills and were flashing (scratching). Of the few I have left, one has a sunken belly barely eats and has stringy white poop so I'm thinking parasites internal and external.
I also keep up with regular water changes and regular upkeep of a fish tank. My water tests come back with a PH of 8.0, ammonia between 0 and 0.24PPM, nitrite is 0PPM, and nitrate is about 20PPM
I've had this tank set up for a few months now after being in storage for many years. I also did a good cleaning before starting it back up using vinegar and water and a razor to get hard water marks off.
My filter is a Penn Plax Cascade 1000 with coarse to fine sponge on bottom tray, middle tray de-nitrate and top tray is matrix with a Purigen pack. There was carbon but I took it out for the treatment I did. I also know de-nitrate is the same as matrix and I have biohome mini ultimate coming in the mail to replace the de-nitrate.
I also have a sponge filter inside the tank as well with a pre-filter sponge on the intake for the canister filter.