We have a dog who is on pimobendan, and our other dog who weighs about 13 pounds (5.9 kg) accidentally got 0.625 mg of it.
Will he be okay?
Pets Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pet owners, caretakers, breeders, veterinarians, and trainers. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
You should always call your vet as soon as possible when something like this happens. By the time someone on the internet answers, if it was a problem it will likely have resulted in serious effect by now.
That being said, 0.625 mg of pimobendan is even a low dose for a 13 lb dog (roughly 0.1 mg/kg). Typical therapeutic doses range from 0.2 to 0.5 mg/kg per day (per Plumbs Veterinary Drugs).
Toxicity is therefore not a concern at such low dose.
In all likelihood, it will not be a problem. Pimobendan works to increase heart contractility, and in a healthy dog a single low dose will not be a problem. The concern comes if your dog has heart disease or other conditions which may make reaction to the drug less predictable.
Close monitoring for 24 hours is a reasonable option in such a case; if any doubts or concerns then immediate evaluation by a veterinarian is needed.
And to add to the other experiences, I was preparing a pill pocket to give our 45 lb Border Collie her 5 mg of Vetmedin (pimobendan) when I turned back and the pill was gone. I could only assume I knocked it off the counter where it was probably eaten by our 21 lb Cavalon (aka "The Vacuum Cleaner"). Called the ASPCA Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) where they told me the same thing: monitor for two hours for signs of vomiting, diarrhea, etc., etc. Two hours later, our dog seems fine. One interesting thing I found out was that, because we have the Home Again microchip, we were not charged for the consultation.
I hope this helps someone, and saves them $75.
My dog weighing 12 pounds (5.4 kg), swallowed (stole my other dog's) pill, which was dosed at 1.25 mg of pimobendan. I called poison control, paid 75 dollars for a "calculation;" the results are as follows:
At that low dose, there is a slight chance for poisoning. Monitor the following for 2 hours: vomiting, diarrhea, decrease in activity, wobbly walking, and the dog's gums to be white. If any of these symptoms occur, go to an emergency vet immediately.
After two hours, the possibility of poisoning is reduced further, and you no longer need to monitor the dog.