I have a two year old Bengal who, since she was a kitten:
- Doesn't cover her pee or poop in the litter box after she is done. Meaning, if she comes back to a littler box with uncovered pee/poop, she'll maybe cover it then if she needs to use the box.
- Doesn't clean her butt - obvious signs of fecal matter.
- Occasionally pee's on the carpet, usually on the stairs or upstairs in areas of the house where she may often be unsupervised and where family doesn't hangout. She sleeps in my room on the first floor.
- Pees in corners or against the wall
What I've done to try and correct the matter:
- Regarding butt cleaning, take a damp paper towel and spot her butt softly with it to induce cleaning.
- Had multiple litter boxes
- Changed multiple litter types
- Change litter box positions
- Change type of litter box
- Change depth of litter
- Frequently test for UTI
- Clap my hands loudly or raise my voice when I catch her squatting. This is increasingly difficult to catch as she picks times when people aren't upstairs. I usually know when she's peed by her slinking downstairs and scurrying to nest in her cat box in my/her room. I'll go upstairs and sure enough get hit with the smell of pee. She's not a skittish cat, even around strangers, unless she's just peed on the carpet. So I suspect she knows better.
- Buy enzyme cleaners to remove the original smell
I'm at a moment in my life where I'm about to move out of the house and into an apartment. I am very hesitant to accommodate for her situation (looking for apartments with hard flooring) and find out that this will never stop while also having the stench of urine throughout an apartment; it's bad enough as it is in this large house.
Any last tricks or recommendations?