I have 2 1/2 months old male persian kitten , I bought it a month ago and the kitten does not seem to be friendly as I thought, sometimes it just get scared and keeps on running away. How much time it can take to over come this issue ?
Every cat has different personality. Moreover, the first 3 to 4 months are most important in building a cat's personality. If the cat has bad experience with humans in his earlier life, he will become suspicious of humans.
To gain the cats confidence progress gradually.
- Give the cat a separate room. She might get afraid of new humans, other pets.
- Give her some hiding area like a long leafy plants, card boxes, where the cat will feel secure.
- Food is the most important thing to build trust. At first keep the food in tray and walk away. Then stay and watch him eating. Finally try feeding by hand.
- Regularly bring new gifts and toys for the cat to play with.
- Make a cat tree. Elevation generally gives them confidence.
- Keep the litter box clean and in a safe place where the cat will not be afraid to go.
- Slowly start stroking the cat softly.
- Talk with your cat.
- Try lifting up the cat over your chest and keep stroking.
- Last but not the least try to make him socialize by introducing to your family members and friends.