My cat hasn't defecated in 2 days. He hasn't been neutered and he has been sleeping more than usual. We brought him outside a few days ago into our garden which we share with our neighbours dogs. They are brought outside often and I'm not quite sure what to do. He hasn't been to a vet. We found him on the street 4 years ago and we haven't done much yet except giving him clean water.
I have jotted down the following points from the The Most Common Cause of Kitty Constipation from the Huffington Post.
Constipation is a common problem in cats.
Signs of constipation -
- The cat should poop every single day.
- His stoll should be brown, formed (not loose), and soft and moist enough that litter sticks to them.
Causes of constipation -
- GI mobility problems.
- Painful defacation due to fracture of the pelvis or hind limb, arthritis, or impacted anal glands.
- Orthopedic or neurological problems.
- Obstruction of the colon caused by a foreign object, tumor, or hernia.
- Try avoiding dry cat food. Add liquid from a can of tuna or other cat food into water bowel. Some prefer water from water fountain than still water.
- Try to make sure your cat gets regular exercises.
- You can add psyllium or coconut fiber in food.
- If hair balls are the reason you can add coconut oil to food to ease hair movement through Gastro Intestinal track.
- Smoe natural laxatives like aloe vera juice can be added to food.
If the problem still persists you should visit your vet.